With the CAWI editor, you have the ability to tailor the layout, styles, colors, and interview logos. You can begin with any of the provided templates or generate new ones.
To enter the new editor, navigate to the CAWI settings page and select the “Open editor to customize” button within the “Customize CAWI Layout” section.
- If you are currently reviewing templates from earlier versions, simply click the “Switch to the new template editor” button to access the editor for customization.
- You can switch to viewing V6 templates at any point by selecting the “Use old version templates” button.
- New surveys can no longer utilize V5 templates. However, the existing surveys that use V5 templates will keep functioning without any extra actions.
Within the main editor window, you’ll find a sidebar menu with all settings and a preview of the interview.
At the top, there’s a button to access templates, a selector for viewing either the desktop or mobile preview, and buttons to discard or apply any changes.
Use the models
The models allow you to create preset graphic settings for easy application in other surveys. Moreover, you can opt for one of the suggested default models as a foundation for customizing the survey theme.
To select an initial model, click the “Import Model” button and then choose from the available options. Models are categorized into Default Models and Saved Models. Opt for “All Models” to see the complete list or filter based on your preferences.
To preserve a model for future reference in other surveys or as a foundational point for a survey, simply click the “Save Model” button. If the model you began with was either created by you or another user, you will receive a prompt asking whether you wish to overwrite the initial model or generate a new one. If you opt to create a new model, you’ll be asked to enter a name for the new model.
To modify, rename, or remove a model, you need to access the edit mode by clicking on the wrench icon. Adjust the styles according to your preference, then click “Save model” to update the model and, if needed, change its name.
Apply changes to the survey
After choosing and setting the theme styles, press the “Apply Changes” button to close the editor and return to the survey settings. Then press the Save Changes button.
If you want to close the editor without saving changes click the “Close and discard changes” button.
- You can customize the theme and apply changes to the survey even without saving the model.
- Clicking Apply Changes will require you to click the Save Changes button from the settings page to take effect.
Change the preview from Desktop to Mobile or vice versa
You can switch from desktop to mobile preview to display how the interview looks in smartphones.
Edit settings and styles
You can access each template setting through the sidebar, which is categorized into Layout, Typography, Buttons, Colors, and Others settings.
Within the Layout menu, you’ll discover all settings related to layout, as the header height, options for the logo and its positioning, diverse preferences regarding question width and alignment, spacing, and specific split-screen configurations.
- The logo and title can be positioned independently. For instance, you have the flexibility to position the title to the left of the header and the logo at the center of the page. If you wish to align the logo and title within the same row, after placing both elements either in the header or on the page, you can use the Logo Alignment dropdown menu to select from various options such as “inline” before the title, after the title, or with spacing in between.
Within the Typography menu, you have the option to select the font, size, and thickness of the text for each element. Additionally, you can choose the color of the text without navigating to the Colors category. Text colors can be chosen from both Typography and Colors.
In the Buttons menu, you can present basic questions as buttons and customize their style. This includes altering the icons for radio buttons and checkboxes, as well as personalizing various aspects of the back and forward buttons. You can modify the text, select icons, adjust alignment, and more.
From the Colors menu, you can designate the color for each element in the survey using the palette or by entering the hex code. Furthermore, you have the ability to upload a background image and control the transparency of the page, question box, and header.
The Others menu offers additional options such as displaying the progress percentage, showing an exit button, and automatically confirming interviews.
Any adjustments made in these settings are immediately reflected in real-time within the preview.
- Keep in mind that models are intended as a starting point for tailoring styles. Even if you opt for the same starting model across various surveys, any adjustments, preferences, or model changes will solely impact the specific survey you are currently editing. Altering or removing a model will not have any influence on the styles of other surveys whatsoever.