|Compatibility:||IdSurvey 6||IdSurvey 7|
With IdSurvey 7 you can create multi-language surveys.
You can add as many translations as you want. Thanks to the export & import wizard, you can easily distribute the excel file to your translators.
The interview will be shown in the respondent’s browser language. If this setting does not match with any available translations, the survey will be shown in the language set as “default”.
If you have at least one translation in the survey, a drop-down menu will be visibile during the interview, in order to allow the respondent to select the language on his own.
- If necessary, you can force the default language for each contact by adding the language label in the new “Language” field.
- IdSurvey’s interfaces are automatically translated in various languages: buttons and system alerts do not need to be translated manually. They are automatically handled by the software itself.
- Survey translations can be displayed in each module, CAWI, CATI and CAPI.
Access to Languages Management
To manage, add or edit the survey’s translations, you need to use the new “Languages management” page.
There you will find a list of the languages currently available in the survey. If no translation is available, only the master language will be shown.
- The master language is the main language in which the survey is written. It cannot be edited from this page.
Define the master language
First of all, enter the language options by clicking on the icon, and select “settings”.
Define the master language and, if you want, change the label.
For example, if the survey is written in English select “en – English”.
Add a language
Click on the + button, select the desired language and, if you want, change the label.
Repeat this step for each new translation you want to add to the survey.
- You can import and add new languages during the import process without the need to create them in advance.
Select one or more translations, then click on the cogwheel button and select “Export…”.
From the popup window, select the export type. In this case, select “Export all”.
An excel file will be created with a Code column, a Master column and a column for each other language you have selected.
In excel, add the desired translation for each row of the file.
Click on the cogwheel button and select “Import…”.
Upload the file and follow the wizard. If the columns’ names have not been edited, no further action will be required.
Translations will be immediately available in the interview.
- You can select the columns you want to import in step 4 of the wizard, or by deleting the unwanted ones from the excel file. Remember to keep the Code and Master columns in the file.
- If you import an empty column, its language will be overwritten!
Choosing the default language
In order to choose the default language, click on and select “Set as default”.
- If you do not change the settings, the default language will match the master language.
- If the language of the browser does not match any of the translations available in the survey, the language set as default will be suggested.
Edit a translation from IdCode
For quick and small corrections, you can change the translations directly from IdCode.
In order to do this, open IdCode, expand the <lang> tag in the text you want to edit, then change the text that you wish to edit inside the appropriate language tag.